Monday, February 27, 2006

The Executive Director and the Publicist

Being basically a coward and a procrastinator, I decided to watch other people get organized before I took the big plunge. Here’s how I found the two people profiled in the Inquirer this morning:

I met Norie Wisniewski, the nonprofit executive director through a mutual business acquaintance, who sent out an e-mail letter to her contacts asking if they wanted to be organized. People did, but Norie, executive director of Haddonfield’s Interfaith Caregivers, was the only one who wasn't too embarrassed to ask for help.

I thought her situation was typical of many people who work in nonprofits where resources and support staff are minimal and where the head of an agency is also the chief cook and bottlewasher.

Ellen Faye, an organizer from Cherry Hill, was happy to participate when she found out that her client would be Norie. Of course, the organizers appreciate the chance for a spotlight in the Inquirer, but Ellen also saw working with Norie as a community service — helping a helper.

You’ll notice that Jamie Joffe, the publicist, very cleverly managed to get me to write about her — that’s what she does for a living for her clients. But I think she took a little risk, because people don’t mind admitting that they aren’t organized, but they want their hired professionals to be very organized.

Even though I’m not in a rush to publicize public relations people, I let myself be persuaded because I think her situation is very typical of many people who have at-home businesses or who work for themselves. I know, because I’m married to someone in Jamie’s same boat.

Maybe he’ll get the hint.

That wasn’t nice, was it?

I’ll tell you who is nice (besides my husband). Our Inquirer readers are very nice. Many apologized for cluttering my e-mail in-basket. But, please, that's not a problem. When you get to 4,000, an extra 50 isn’t going to kill crash the system, believe me. Almost all offered sympathy and encouragement. Someone named papertigerlady told me organizing is art. If that’s the case, move over Picasso.

I’m trying to figure out a way to get my Digging Out emails on this blog. As soon as I do, I’ll put them on.
More to come...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I think people are obsessed with collecting things, including newspapers. What do you think, Jane? :)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jane M. Von Bergen said...

Maybe they are just obsessed with collecting my articles!

Listen, I say, buy the paper, read what you want and recycle it.

I don't know why people think that they have to read the whole newspaper to get value out of it. People will pay a dollar for candy bar that they will consume in under two minutes. A newspaper is cheaper than that and if you spend 10 minutes with it and get three interesting things out of it, you are getting your money's worth. But then again, I'm definitely prejudiced in favor of newspapers.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home