Monday, March 27, 2006

Love That Shovel

1:00 p.m.
While waiting for my editors to look over upcoming stories, I decided to start dumping drawers in the distant periphery. I threw out notes from companies I covered from 1994 to about 2000. A lot of them no longer exist: Zany Brainy, American Appliance. The Today's Man box with documents from two bankruptcies will go this afternoon. What I kept were some files and stories connected with the closing of Wanamaker's and Strawbridge's back in 1995 and 1996. We did a terrific special section when Wanamaker's closed and I had a lot of influence in how it looked. I'm very proud of that work, so that's staying, as are extra copies of some magazine pieces I wrote when we had a magazine.

What should I do with all the material left over from the Republican convention in 2000? I was one of the main reporters on that, particularly as we looked at it from a business point of view. Right now, I'm thinking of keeping the financial stuff and tossing all the rest. Otherwise, I'll box it and shove it in a closet somewhere here at the paper. I have three file drawers of stuff from it. I definitely want to get it to no more than one. That was an exhausting and exciting story to cover. I look at stuff and it reminds me. One day Pat Croce picked me up in his arms and carried me like a baby outside the Reading Terminal while people clapped. He had chosen me to be a pretend Republican delegate. I don't what part of that experience was the strangest!


6:15 p.m.
I did a little work in the middle, but I managed to clean out another 345 emails. Down to 550! Going home in triumph!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home