Saturday, March 25, 2006

More Shovel Grabbing

1:10 p.m., Saturday, March 25:
It's just after 1 on a Saturday afternoon and I'm here at work, again, trying to dig out. I'm feeling very determined. My emails have gone from 4330 to 2000 and more will go today - at least 1,000. I've decided to intersperse the email jettisoning effort with other activities, such as beginning to go through various piles. I realize that I want my desk to be clean at the end of this, even if the end is a month or so from now. Not only do I want it clean, but I want it washed!

You know, of course, what the irony would be. The irony would be if I am sitting here cleaning out my desk, with the goal of being more joyfully and calmy productive, and then find out that I'm actually cleaning it as a courtesy to this cubicle's next occupant if we lose our jobs when the Inquirer finally gets sold. Well, no point in worrying about that now...

3:22 p.m., Saturday, March 25
1,500 emails and still tossing. Goal: Down to 1,000 by 6 p.m.

I actually wrote a quickie little story off one of them that we can use in Monday's business newsletter. Another one, which I obviously saved because "someday" I planned to use it as material for an article, turns out to be pertinent to a story scheduled to run in the Inquirer this week. The story, which had its genesis from a different email, is already written and I never ended up using the info from this email because it was lost among the 4,330 that had been in the basket. It may be too late now, but it also might be worth an extra call. Maybe on Monday.

Tossed out about 25 email reminders of soccer practice for my younger son. Soccer season was over five months ago! Believe me, I'd rather write than shovel, but,... back to work.

5:55 Saturday, March 25
895 emails left in my inbox -- that's down from 2,000 when I walked in the door five hours ago. I'm very happy with my progress. My only regret is that I didn't get my phone contacts system in place. I've given myself a lot of work in the future when I transfer the numbers over. But, again, why worry now. I predict that by the end of the week, I'll be able to get to the 300 to 400 range. Of course, I now have lots of emails in folders, but I'll also be able to cull through them in little nibs as time goes by. Time for dinner!

1 Comments:

Blogger CScott said...

Wow, what wonderful progress on your email! You should be very proud of your efforts. Great job!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home