Thursday, March 23, 2006

Three New Habits

Well, my desk isn't cleaner. I'm more confused than ever about how to organize my contacts and I'm torn between just throwing stuff off my desk and doing what I should do, which is mine it for precious phone numbers to put into a system -- well, what system?

So what have I gained so far?
Three new habits -- more or less.

Habit One: Deal with all the emails every day. I have been doing that consistently for two weeks. I either toss them, respond to them or file them. I still have 2,200 on backlog, down from 4330, but I have some confidence that I could get to zero in about five or six hours.

Habit Two: Wash out all cups at night. But I didn't do that last night when I worked until 1 a.m. I could barely make the walk to the car in the parking lot, let alone all the way to the sink and back. I washed them this morning.

Habit Three: Pray before starting to work. While my computer is humming to life, I thank God for work that I enjoy and pray for the health and safety of my family. I also pray for the safety of my colleagues around the world who are reporting under dangerous circumstances. Then, I ask for God's help to make it through the day, especially on a day when I'm tired, so I don't screw it up, so I remain fair and compassionate and so I find a little extra to encourage someone, either here in the office or out in the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger CScott said...

Congratulations on your three new habits. You are doing a great job with the email. Two weeks of keeping current is outstanding! They say it takes 21 days to create a firm habit, so another week and you will be there.

Don't worry that you haven't cleaned up your desk piles or figured out your contacts yet. Think how long you have been operating with those stacks and the contact problem. Change takes time and you are making great progress.

Keep up the good work!

Carmelita

1:58 PM  
Blogger spciam3rd said...

I love that you're self-assured enough to let your readers know that you believe God is there and listens to prayer!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home