Thursday, March 09, 2006

Worried About Getting Started

I'm planning to come in here this weekend and work on my desk. But as it gets closer to the weekend, I'm feeling more and more anxious. I'm reading "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, which is a book recommended by a couple of folks who wrote in. I understand his thought process and it makes sense, but I'm not sure how to cope with ideas that may or may not germinate into stories. Are they "Projects" or "Maybe/Somedays?" Next week I'm scheduled to interview him, so I'll be asking his advice. But I need to get started or I will look like a blithering idiot -- probably do already.

As you can tell, I'm feeling discouraged.

One thing that has been great is that a couple people reported that they've already begun to clean up. Rob Schimmel, an executive at Royal Electric Supply Co. in Philadelphia, already cleaned off his desk as a result of Digging Out. He reports that the table behind his desk is still a work in progress. His co-worker, Lisa, wants him to get even more organized because his desk is in the front of the business and gives a bad impression. But I'm encouraged for him.
Jim Topley, owner of Crystal Clear Custom Pools, told me he put down the paper, went into work and cleaned up! Wow! Someone else said that the egg timer tip worked. Bonnie Warren, a songwriter, who actually wrote on a song on this topic, wants us all to get together somewhere and sing or make up poems about the problem -- maybe toast our triumphs or tragedies.

Let me know how it's going. Maybe it'll cheer me up. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Rob Schimmel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home