Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Bucket and a Shovel

6:30 p.m. Sunday
It's 6:30 p.m. on a Sunday night and I'm here at the office -- with a shovel and a bucket. It's blue to match my eyes and filled with lavender smelling detergent. Tonight's the night I'm going to clean my desk and surroundings.

Our newsroom is actually a gorgeous workspace. Just so you can picture it -- it is the former pressroom, so it has tall industrial windows and a high enough ceiling to accommodate the presses, which were huge machines. The room, painted white, takes up most of the block between Broad and Fifteenth Street. Old photos show the Inquirer of yesteryear. I like the old newsroom and another one of horses lined up on 15th Street ready to pull the delivery wagons. Maroon banners designating the departments hang from huge industrial pillars strong enough to support this floor and the presses that it once held.

On the other hand, it is dirty and it's mostly our fault. You've seen my picture in the paper, but I am not the messiest, not even close! We like our newspapers piled around us. We like our files. We like a certain sense of chaos and irreverence of place. We find our newsroom more stimulating than messy. Also there's a certain sense of live and let-live.

But I have no plans to let the dust live on my desk beyond tonight and tomorrow. This project will be over in a week, and I want it be good and look good.

9:30 p.m. Sunday
I'm quitting because I'm confused about what to actually do with some of the stuff on my desk. Plus I have to pick various boys up in various locations. I washed one part of my desk and a shelf underneath my desk.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend sherry is the most organized person i know. i have a sticky by the spot on my desk where a paper pile is forever procreating ....the sticky has the letters WWSD. its just one of my many little helpers to stay on track , like the way a food challenged person would put a pic of their ideal body/thin self on the fridge.

8:47 AM  
Blogger spciam3rd said...

at least your bucket got used! good for you...I know all about not knowing what to do with some of the stuff on a desk. I have an 'in' bin. that stuff sits in the bottom of it, so I see the stuff once in a while. sometimes I even process a piece. there's always SOMETHING in the bottom, though.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home