Monday, April 24, 2006

Speaking of Disorganization....

Sometimes our newspaper is a little disorganized. Part of it is the nature of the product. Can you imagine putting out a newspaper every day with so many different sections and stories, each requiring attention to every comma, plus headlines and photo captions? We make plans, but as the news changes throughout the day, so do the plans. It is always very fluid and sometimes confusing.

All this is by way of introduction to what will follow in some future blogs here. One of the articles planned the final Sunday "Digging Out" package didn't make it in the paper on April 9. It was an article of hints and lessons I had learned in the course of doing the series. So I'm going to break up the story and serve a hint or so on Mondays and Wednesdays. Our online honchos at the paper say people like these blogs short and I believe them. Sorry I've been guilty for writing so long in the past.

By the way, I remain at 240 emails, down from 4330.

Here comes my first tip -- these are all based on the work I did for myself, my sessions with my organizer, my interviews and observations of other organizers and the half-dozen or so books that I read or skimmed.

Tip One: Start by spending some time, but not too much, tossing obvious clutter — for example, I threw out files from companies no longer in business. That will give you a little room to set up your new organizational system. But don’t get caught up in this process, because it is not the most important work.

Tip Two: Thinking is the most important work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home