Wednesday, May 24, 2006

New Bosses. Old Emails.

Yesterday all my systems collapsed. I had been doing my best to keep my emails to 240 and my desk clear, but yesterday it just didn't work. Everything built up to a big crescendo yesterday.

All morning long we were waiting to hear if our newspaper would be bought and by whom. All of us were in a tither, writing and writing, reporting, trying to learn a little bit about our investors. Naturally, everyone was on edge.

Then, of course, everything happened right on deadline.

If our new owners, who are some local business people, want to own a newspaper, they've got to learn not to push their news right up to the deadline.

So it was completely frantic from about 4:30 to 8 p.m., what with them giving speeches and us trying to write, edit and gossip. Then at about 7 p.m., I learned about warrants being issued for arrest of some union machinists -- a story I had been following. So that had to be written. When it was all done, my email was up to about 280 and I said, forget it, I'm going home. That was enough.

Now, today, I'll get it back down. I guess getting a new boss (or set of bosses) is a good enough excuse to let email drop.

But I'm feeling more hopeful. The whole time that we've been in this anxious process of being sold, I think I just responded by cleaning my desk. Maybe, I wanted to feel in control of something. I was definitely worried about losing my job, especially since I've been here at The Inquirer for so long (nearly 24 years). At the same time, I was falling in love all over again with being a reporter.

I'll blog again next Wednesday. I'm trying to blog on Mondays and Wednesdays, but last week I was off running a church trip and being a chaperone for Central High School's science fair. (I thought I'd have quality time with my teenage son. Hah!)

Now to attack those emails....

3 Comments:

Blogger Sai said...

Hi Jane,

Hang in there. Things will work out...

2:38 AM  
Blogger CScott said...

Jane,

Wow, considering all the activity and turmoil you are doing fabulous. I am impressed you have kept your inbox and desk at a reasonable level. I'm still working on getting my own desk manageable, then I will worry about the email.

Thanks for your continued blogging. It's an inspiration to the rest of us.

Carmelita

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Paloma Cruz said...

I have one word for you: Valium.

:-)

No, really, it will get better. Even without the little orange-colored pills.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home