Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Too Many Decisions

My desk still looks pretty good, but I can feel myself losing my organizational grip. And the issue is the same as it always was -- how do I prioritize my work? There are so many good stories on my reporting beat that I have a hard time choosing. That's how email piles up and that's how desk piles begin to grow.

Take today for example:
I would most like to be at a conference at the Bellevue-Stratford Park Hyatt (whatever it's called). The conference is titled the Global Creative Economy and the ideas presented there of how talent and creativity and the economy mix goes directly to the heart of my workplace beat. There is an inch-high stack of notes from the first day of the conference and other interviews on my desk pertaining to that.

There are three other stories I could do today and each one is represented by a paper or email. One is about a five month lockout at Tinius-Olsen Machine Testing Co in Horsham. That is a long lockout and it would be worth seeing what's up there. A lot of unions are rallying to picket with the workers.

Another is that a group called Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children released a report today that essentially says that Pennsylvania's youth are not fully prepared to enter the workforce. Again, an important story with implications for our future. That's about three emails.

And finally, there's a group called the MidAtlantic Employers' Association that is publishing a salary survey -- usually there are interesting findings and it is very locally relevant information. Another three emails.

I could probably handle at least one of those stories, but a co-worker I need to help me with a technology project is going on vacation tomorrow. He's the one who knows how to create an online version of an interview with a well-known business author which will appear in The Inquirer soon. So what I am actually doing is transcribing an interview. The interview is fascinating. Transcribing it is boring beyond belief!

So I guess that's what I have to do and I have to let these other stories go, along with the emails. But I feel bad about it and that guilt translates into piles. Well, I'd rather write a blog than transcribe, but I need to get to work.

What do you think I should have done today?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the GTD guru (who I started reading after the various references to him in your blog -- helpful but rigid) would have suggested that you at least put all those emails in manila folders of their own! I think you made the right choice since the boring transcription thing was time sensitive.

11:04 AM  
Blogger The Coz said...

Hi Jane. I too have difficulty making decisions, and I know that's why my desk is a mess and never mind my email folder.

How are you doing? You've come so far. I wish you the best in keeping up your progress. Hang in there - I know the changes are worth it!

Carmelita

7:45 PM  
Blogger nicwulee said...

Couldn't you delegate transcription to someone more junior??

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Jane, you're getting so efficient you did this posting twice! Isn't it time to do another?

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home